Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mini harvests that match a person’s needs!



Everything here is from my garden!
One of the few talents I’ve developed with time concerns my ability to plan and plant out the right proportion of vegetables such that, during the summer months, I always have enough mature veggies each day to satisfy my needs. It’s a talent, because I also don’t have much that doesn’t get used. (Any leftovers get tossed either into a compost pile or they’re placed right back into the ground in an unused spot in the beds).

Pictured here is a day’s harvest the contained some carrots, an onion and a cucumber that will serve to make a couple of salads. I’d already harvested some lettuce which was stored in a crisper a couple of days before. I also added some raw snow peas to the mix to complete a nice set of salads. Throw on a little oil and vinegar and I’ll enjoy produce that came out of my ground and which is also very nutritious to boot!

Speaking of those snow peas, I’m letting quite a few pods mature so that I can replant them next spring and not have to worry about the cost of seed. Interestingly, I’ll also have more plants than this year and they’ll be free!

No comments:

Post a Comment