Friday, April 20, 2012

Build a 2 x 4’ Quickie Raised Bed



Question: Just how hard is it to make a raised bed and how much could, say a small 2 x 4 space, actually produce?

Answer: I decided to find out and assembled the following materials together so that I might ‘throw together’ a quickie raised bed!

------------------------
Materials:

6 bags of composted manure ($2.50 for each 40 pound bag)
Bag of peat moss (leftover from last year)
Potting mix to start seeds (Miracle Grow potting mix)
4 Starting trays (from previous years)
Weed block
(2) 2x6 by 8 foot lengths of lumber
Outdoor Paint - white
16 nails
Hammer
Measuring tape
Staple gun
Saw
Garden digging tool
Assorted seeds
---------------
Time to assemble, paint and install: 3 hours
Time to place in soil and amendments: 1 hour
Material cost: About $12
------------------------

I think most anyone can install a simple raised bed with whatever materials you might have on hand. In my case, I had a couple of eight foot lengths of 2x 6 lumber that I could use to make the containment area for the garden soil. However, almost anything (rocks, brick, etc) can work, or you can simply hill up some earth without any containment sides at all!

I began construction by taking two eight foot pieces and cutting them in half. That gave me four sections that were each about four feet long. Next, I painted each piece and then nailed everything together. I then situated the construct over an area next to my driveway after first clear off the top layer of sod. I then attached weed block across the bottom making sure to staple the cloth to the sides. This material allows water to easily drain while blocking any weeds that might want to spring up from underneath. 

So, start to finish for the construction, it was about three hours. The hardest part was clearing the sod, but once done the rest went quickly. Note that since I already had the lumber, I didn't figure this into the cost.  But, even so, this should cost all that much to throw together. 

My next post will cover some of the considerations for what kind of soil mix you might want to consider using.

No comments:

Post a Comment