Sunday, April 22, 2012

Jupiter Bell Peppers: Are they worth the trouble? Can they find a spot in a survalist garden?


Well, at least the little tag picture is encouraging!

While visiting a local grocery store in my town, I purchased one of those little four cell trays of vegetable plant starts that are so prevalent this time of year. The little stick informed me that these were Jupiter peppers. I’d never grown this particular variant before and was curious as to how they would turn out. 

The four little plants looked healthy. Not lanky like some of the other peppers that were offered. After I got home, I browsed the internet to see if there was any information. Surprisingly, there was not all that much. One site informed me that the mature plant was prolific and produced ‘thick walled’ fleshy plants.  Another indicated that they did ‘well’ in Missouri. Hmmm. OK, sounds good to me. I’m a game animal.

I planted two of these in a front small raised bed and two in the backyard in a much larger and more established bed. That front bed was built just a few days ago and I used a soil mix from a company called ‘Earthgro’ which is produced by the Hyponex Corporation. The forty pound bags I used are no doubt on the lower end of the scale of products they offer. (My bags of dirt cost just $2.50 each, but I will say that the feel of the soil was encouraging).  So, two plants in ‘new’ soil versus two plants in aged soil that has seen about seven years of use. This could be interesting!

At some point, most likely around August, I’ll do a post on how well these little guys turned out. Just do a search on this blog, using the word ‘Jupiter’.

No comments:

Post a Comment