Sunday, April 8, 2012

Fall planted lettuce is feeding me in the spring!

Note that these received no special protection from the elements!

Last fall I seeded a few lettuce plants and placed them in the front yard close to my walk way. They were able to get to some size before the cold weather came in and halted all growth. But, then when the warmer weather came back, so did the lettuce. And, even now when most of them have bolted, I’m still harvesting a good crop that end up in a daily salad bowl! Note that I've also added some parsley and onions for a real salad bowl effect.

Soon, all these will be used up. However, there are new seedlings that have been planted out to take their place. Now, about every other week I’ll start a tray of six or so to plant out in about a months time. I’ll do this right up until the end of May when I know hot weather of summer will be detrimental. Then in the fall, long about late August, I’ll start the process all over again.

Then end result is a more or less constant flow of lettuce with the exception of the coldest and hottest months!

No comments:

Post a Comment